Saturday 25 November 2017

On Sketchnote and Making!

Curation for MOD#9

Gonna do it! I am going to fearlessly embrace sketchnoting! For those of you who may be trying to puzzle out what sketchnoting is... behold, this lovely video:



Basics involve immersing yourself into your topic and putting your thoughts on paper through drawings/doodles, writing, shapes and visual elements to create a visual map of the subject at hand. It engages deeper concentration and builds active listening skills.

In my typical neurotic thinking way, I sat and stared at the paper for a LONG time... I didn't want to "make a mistake" or have it look bad but if there was ever a topic that sketchnoting was meant for, Making! has got to be it. So I did it! Here is my first attempt to take notes on an article I was reading:
My first sketch note!!!
I must admit, I like the way it turned out and it wasn't too hard once I got going.
Loertscher's article really got me thinking about the possibilities of what I could bring to my library. I want to give my students the opportunity to explore and experiment and play - testing the waters, if you will! The article reminded me that each of us approach learning in different ways and for those are that visual or like working with their hands or who think outside of the box, Making is a true avenue of discovery.

Being thoroughly inspired by the article and with sketchnoting, I took the opportunity to use this doodling skill with my students at a family group meeting. The theme was "Peace" as we were preparing for our Remembrance Day Assembly. This meeting was a chance for students and teachers to engage in discussion of what peace meant to each of us and to present our findings in the form of a peace dove. I chose to share Todd Parr's The Peace Book. Prior to reading, I showed a short video clip on sketchnoting and then presented my own example to the students. With their questions answered, paper and markers were handed-out, and I read the book several times as the students drew. We were all thrilled with the result...
Percy's Rainbow Polar Bears' Peace Dove
Student feedback was positive and several asked if they could do sketchnoting more often or in class. One teacher saw the dove and asked about the process which I happily shared.

I also visited Maker Ed and spent much too long engrossed in amazing ideas for getting started and I lost myself in a crazy rabbit hole spiral where links lead to new links. Such excitement!!!

Some possibilities in my school library:
  • I have a computer area with desktop computers - possibility of removing several computers and building in a material storage shelf above and utilizing countertop for a makerspace (shift to laptop use when computers needed)
  • knitting club (several teachers at the school with these skills)
  • inspiration from Anna Crosland (@crosland_a) to keep literature in Maker education; develop cross-classroom/grade collaborative projects; utilize prep coverage blocks to make
  • reaching out to district mentors to gain insight
  • launch off a recently finished novel study with gr. 4/5 to make cardboard creations
  • I love games... introducing new games to students and having them make their own to teach and share
  • just start something and try it out!



Work referenced

Loertscher, D.V. (2014). Makers, self-directed learners, and the library learning commons. Teacher Librarian, 41(5), 35, 38, 71.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature Post

Vision Blog Post #3 - Artifact and Reflection

While I was reading Richardson’s Why School? , many ideas popped out but one that remained in my mind was the aspect of ensuring that studen...