Thursday 6 August 2020

Learning Log: Module 9 - Driving Inquiry with Questions

I am having a go at replicating McTighe and Wiggins (2013) Essential questions charts and adding my thoughts as I go through this exercise.

Table 1 - From Concept Categories to Essential Questions for the topic of Current Events

Conceptual Category

Example

Essential Question

Concept

COVID-19

How are different countries reacting to the COVID-19 outbreak?

Theme

Education

What is happening to schools during this pandemic?

Theory

COVID-19 is affecting our lives

How is COVID-19 affecting my life?

Policy

K-12 students in BC will return to classrooms in September with a new cohort or learning group system.

Should parents have a say in the format of the return to school in the Fall for their children?

Issue/Debate

Value of PPE in schools

Should students of be required to wear PPE while in school?

Assumption

Students learn best in the traditional school setting

How do we know how students learn best?

Perspectives

Educators: “We do not feel clear and adequate protocols are in place for a safe return to school.”

PHO: “The back-to-school plan is based on science to minimize risk of transmitting COVID-19.”

Whom can we believe about the safe return to school?

Too soon? Apologies, there is so much in my brain at this time, I thought, let’s just use what’s there. I recognize this is such a critical debate happening with things shifting day to day and it’s difficult to not have a say about it even if it’s tongue in cheek as a part of an assignment.

The students I teach are curious about what is going on around them and they often will ask me about the going-ons of the world. Topics that do not always fit neatly into curricular subjects sometimes are not addressed in the classroom setting and when I share a story or a book that tweaks on these thoughts, I often have really good discussions emerge from classes during their weekly visit with me, hence this look at current events.

Regardless of the topic, I can see great merit in going through this exercise prior to the teaching of a unit. The seven conceptual categories helped me to break-down the topic and see some vantage points that I might not have otherwise. In my head, I had thought about the topics I teach in digital literacy and I also wondered how a school-wide read I had done two years back with themes of immigration and refugees would have fared in this table. I would have seen really strong jumping off points that I could have presented to teachers in my school and I know it would have led to rewarding conversations with students.

 

Table 2 - Essential Questions Derived from Desired Understandings of the Big Ideas in English Language Arts Grade 4/5

Desired Understandings

Possible Essential Questions

Language and text can be a source of creativity and joy.

·      What does writing do for you?

·      What makes a feel-good book?

·      Why do authors write?

Exploring stories and other texts helps us understand ourselves and make connections to others and the world.

·      How do you relate to this story?

·      How do things happening in other parts of the world affect us?

 

Texts can be understood from different perspectives.

·      How might a different reader (your mom, your friend, a dog) interpret this story?

Using language in creative and playful ways helps us understand how language works.

·      How would you retell this story if it were written in a different way?

As a song? As a poem?

As a play? As a recipe?

Questioning what we hear, read, and view contributes to our ability to be educated and engaged citizens.

·      How do you know if something is credible?

For this second table I decided to take the Big Ideas from the Gr. 4 and 5 English Language Arts curriculum and challenge myself to reframe them in inquiry. I would love to now do this with a few other curricular subjects and make a hand-out or poster for teachers, I see it as a powerful and useful tool for myself and would love to share.

On a personal note, for whatever reason, this exercise took me much long than I expected. I felt very strange sitting at my computer elasticizing my brain; that is exactly what it felt like to me - my brain stretching and extending to attempt this new concept and way of thinking and just when I think I’ve got it, it snaps back. I would never have thought of my brain working as something I could physically fell but it sure did seem like a workout to me. While I would like to think I have been using forms of inquiry in my teaching, working things out here shows me that I still have a long way to go. I rewrote may of the above EQs several times trying to get it “just right” and past my bias of wanting to include what I thought students should know and putting in leading questions.

I am very glad to have tried these exercises because it really made me look hard at my words, my presentation, and what I expect from my students.

 

Works cited

McTighe, J. & Wiggins, G. (2013). Essential Questions: Opening doors to student understanding. Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature Post

Vision Blog Post #3 - Artifact and Reflection

While I was reading Richardson’s Why School? , many ideas popped out but one that remained in my mind was the aspect of ensuring that studen...