Sunday 15 November 2020

Vision Blog Post #1

The themes of connection and access have surfaced so much over our inquiry and discussions. At this juncture in time, it is of utmost importance to me and is really what is causing me the most strain in my work. Creating something that would alleviate this concern for this assignment is a win-win all around!

My biggest challenge at the moment is that I am not able to do my job to the best of my ability due to my displacement from my classroom (LLC) and the disjointed schedule I am working in. If I could harness all my parts and put them together into one location that is easily accessible and well promoted, I would feel more efficient and effective to the needs of the learners and teachers at my school.

1) I adore helping students find meaningful books. I am limited in my capacity to reach every class though, so a place where reviews, book talks or highlights of new items in the library would be wonderful. Also, tutorials for using the library catalogue to find and request these titles.

Image by Mary Clark from Pixabay

2) I know the teachers at my school are making use of a variety resources: outdoor learning, iPad apps, Adrienne Gear collections, new technology… I am helping them as I see it or if they inquire but I know there are far more that are not asking or whose classrooms I am not frequenting. Again, an easily accessible place to highlight new or existing resources with short FAQs or how-to’s would be so useful.

Image by April Bryant from Pixabay

3) Challenge and STEAM – I work with the gifted students at my school and safety precautions have greatly hindered the ability for me to meet regularly with them. Somewhere to showcase resources, have discussions or share interests would be beneficial.

Image by HensleyStudios from Pixabay

My goal is to create a digital space that will connect at school learners, at home learners and my fellow teachers at school. Having a library webpage would be my best bet. I like the idea of having my own digital space to share ideas and resources. While it was nice to be a part of every TEAMS during remote learning, it was difficult to post and ensure students were seeing my announcements.

Image by www slon pics from Pixabay

I have begun work on researching how to create a webpage, ideas for design, and which website builders to use. So far, I have been collecting articles and helpful articles that I will parse through this week as I focus and develop my plan.

3 comments:

  1. I am also planning to create a website, I've been exploring a few different website builders, Weebly, Wix and Google sites. I have yet to finalize one of these options, I'm finding it hard to choose! I'm curious if you've selected one yet and if you have any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, thanks for visiting my blog! I know there are so many choices and features. I am a newbie at website building so I am looking for one that has super ease of use. I like that Weebly for Education has an option for educators that is free and without any ads.

      Delete
  2. You have a strong idea here for your final project. I appreciate how you are connecting it to the themes of connection and access. I feel it will be a very valuable and useful tool for you - especially given your current situation. However, websites aren’t necessarily - if you build it then they will come… consider your plan for sharing with staff and students as well as a way they could contribute if possible. Looking forward to seeing what you create!

    ReplyDelete

Feature Post

Vision Blog Post #3 - Artifact and Reflection

While I was reading Richardson’s Why School? , many ideas popped out but one that remained in my mind was the aspect of ensuring that studen...