Monday 23 November 2020

Vision Blog Post #2

Learner Considerations


The Leigh LLC Webpage will be for the benefit of my learners and staff, and once I am better established… the greater school community. The wish behind my vision is to have a central location where information can be gathered and disseminated. 

A hub that is inviting, inclusive and informative. 

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

I very much want to enable a gathering place for my school since we are in many ways designated to so many separate bubbles.

The student body
At this moment in time, I only see half of the school population quarterly and I have no contact with remote learners at all. It is a real loss to my students to not have access to the LLC resources. Foremost in my plans is to ensure easy access for my students to reach elements that would be beneficial to them:
- develop their skills at using the library catalogue to access our collection, see new titles, and place requests for books
- find reliable information via Destiny Collections built in conjunction with their teacher with specific projects in mind
- be able to find book reviews and recommendations
- engage in fun curated activities on the Leigh LLC Padlet for fun activities
- easily see and find notices for school events and book clubs
- continue to engage in digital citizenship

Image from Hatice EROL from Pixabay

Peers and Colleagues
Collaboration in regular circumstances can be difficult due to time constraints… now more than ever, I need to be flexible and able to support my colleagues in a way that matters. We had a lot of resources at our disposal during the shift to remote learning in the spring but many of those have shifted or are no longer available. Our focus changed to ensuring our in-school programs were safe and there were a lot of adjustments made in the fall. Now as my district asks our teachers to once again pivot to ensure online supports are in place should the need arise, many of my colleagues require a hand to reconnect to resources.
A webpage would:
- be a place to group resources or provide an index to them
- be able to provide resource highlights of digital tools
- have provisions of helpful advice, tips, how-tos
 
I feel like much of what I currently do is only seen by the people in the same schedule as me. I don’t want to “drop” half the school when I am not directly working with them. I am building skills with my students and building relationships with classroom teachers. A ten-week gap is a lot of time for these skills and bonds to atrophy. I plan to direct much of my teaching when I am with students, to go through the website so they will see and understands its components and its worth. With a platform that is engaging, maybe I can keep some of my audience and interest them to continue learning during this transition.

2 comments:

  1. This post outlines some good considerations for your target audience. You are taking on a valuable project. Your current circumstances are tricky and you are right to consider ways that you can continue to support the needs of your community during those times when you can’t be with them physically. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleana, I applaud your vision to create community through your website. Websites do indeed, offer tremendous potential for learning, especially if it's something consistent for all members of your school community. I look forward to your final product!

    ReplyDelete

Feature Post

Vision Blog Post #3 - Artifact and Reflection

While I was reading Richardson’s Why School? , many ideas popped out but one that remained in my mind was the aspect of ensuring that studen...